Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Custards and Puddings

Second class was all about Custards and Puddings. I've made some custards in the past so wasn't too overly concerned, but always eager to learn something new. I've made Ille Flottante in the past and would like to make Creme Anglaise less stressfully. I remember I had my small Le Creuset saucier and the creme was spilling over as I whisked briskly. There must be a trick and yes there was! Do not use a small saucier! Any non-reactive pan would do, for example my All Clad stainless steel pans!

Carol showed us how to make Creme Brulee to start the class. It was fairly easy:

Cream
Milk
Vanilla Bean
Egg Yolks

Bake in a Bain Marie, 325 degree oven for 40 minutes, or until the middle doesn't jiggle when lightly shaken.

Next, was Old Fashioned Bread Pudding. It was interesting to note that the best bread for puddings are Challah bread, and that to add a layer of flavor to the milk, sugar and egss, you can soak the raisins in some brandy. A pinch of cinnamon. A sprinkling of orange zest. The bread pudding, wasn't so old fashioned anymore!



My Mama's bread pudding was wonderful, but an addition of orange, brandy and cinnamon notes certainly elevated this homely dessert.

No comments: